Monday, May 4, 2009

The ultimate compliment


I got the ultimate compliment today, and I have promised myself to etch it into my longterm memory, in case comments like these should become endangered in the (teen)years to come.

The students in my daughter's class were assigned to tag along with one of their parents to work today. She had planned on going with her dad to the high school where he's a teacher, but a stomach bug kept him home sick. Instead she got to follow me as we drove more than 2 hours to meet a family with a handicapped son in need of a carseat.

The actual visit, which is the essence of my work, only lasted about an hour. During that time her "studies" consisted of playing with a younger sibling and their adorable kitten. During the 5 hours we spent in the car, a.k.a. my office, she listened to her c.d. book while playing on her Nintendo DS, and I made a number of phone calls.

Every now and then we chatted. Among other things the question, "What does homosexual mean?" came up so we discussed that. We stopped for a bite to eat, checked out a couple of clothes stores, and eventually arrived home.

Before I stopped the car she thanked me for being able to come with me to work today. She thanked me again as I kissed her goodnight, and my heart nearly exploded in ecstasy when she said that spending the day together was fun and that maybe we could do it again sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment