Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Creative excursions


The year I turned thirty, I found myself stuck (we're talking quicksand-stuck) in a huge pre-midlife crisis. Reading Sandra Ban Breathnach's book, "A Simple Abundance", offered not only comfort during this rough period in my life, it became a pivotal turning point for me. While I don't necesarily share the same taste in Victorian decorating and gardening styles often described in various essays, her book offered many thoughts and ideas that have greatly influenced and altered my perspectives. Her main claim being that we already have all that we will ever need, I have learned among other things the importance of keeping my creative juices flowing, even when money and time are scarce.

One suggestion is that you give yourself the opportunity to go on creative excursions. A creative excursion is basically a fancy word for window-shopping. The idea is to indulge in admiring, maybe even trying on, everything you see that tickles your fantasy. (Naturally, it doesn't have to be limited to clothing; I just happen to love clothes shopping.) See it as a chance to be playful, adventurous - like when you dare to try on something that makes you leave your comfort zone.

I, for one, am normally the girl who goes for safe styles. I am lucky to have been taken under the wings of my own personal shopping goddess (my girlfriend Maria), and she has through her method of tough love made me realize that I, too, can wear bright colors and cool patterns. She's also the one who introduced me to the amazing Lager 157 outlet stores.

Today I had an appointment in Västervik where there just happens to be a Lager 157, and for once I could during a long lunch really take my time studying different shapes, colors, patterns, and textures on a seemingly endless number of fantastic summer creations. When something caught my eye, I tried it on. So even if I can't afford extravagant shopping sprees, I can still enjoy playing dress-up.
And lucky for me Lager 157 is an outlet with real outlet prices, so I was actually able to treat myself to a bright pink knit summer top with a discreet gold band with a bow across the neckline. NICE :-) .

2 comments:

  1. Ta mig med nästa gång!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Du, vi bestämmer det! Vi hittar en dag i JUNI och kör till Västervik för ingen annan anledning än att umgås och shoppa!!!!

    ReplyDelete