Sunday, May 17, 2009

Don't think, just do...at least some of the time


This morning, Sunday, we awoke to yet another glorious, sunny day. Although the house needed cleaning, the grass needed mowing, and clothes needed washing, there was no doubt in my mind as to what we were going to do first. I told my husband that I was taking the kids for a "Bingo Walk" around Stensö (a small island in Kalmar). I was delighted when he immediately agreed to come, too, when he just as easily could have told us to go on our own so that he could do, this, that, and the other thing in the meantime.

That's usually how our weekends look otherwise: endless planning, scheduling, logistics, and your basic, run-of-the-mill damage control. Today, however, my instinct to leave the mess at home and spend some time together as a family got top priority. It ended up taking a lot longer than I expected, so several plans that I had secretly made for the afternoon got canned. For instance, instead of making a homecooked Sunday dinner, we ended up frying up some hotdogs for lunch. Getting the lawn mowed beat out doing any yoga. And even before I finished the lawn it was time for me to drive to the gym to teach my Sunday class.

But what's the point of freaking out? I'll never forget a little something I read years and years ago in a newspaper, where they asked 5-year-old to explain what "time" was. He answered, "Time is time. Kids have more time than grownups."

It's so true; anyone with kids would have to agree. I just hope at least today my kids got to feel that their parents had enough time for them, despite the dustbunnies.

No comments:

Post a Comment