Saturday, November 28, 2009

What's the point?


Occasionally, and I mean OCCASIONALLY as in once-in-a-great-while-but-absolutely-not-too-often, I appreciate my husband kicking me in the butt so that I don't destroy my Saturday by procrastinating. The reason I procrastinate is that I am so worried that I'll make the wrong decision as to what I should be doing with my day off that I never get around to deciding anything, and before I know it - day's over!

Today was no different. P had spent the morning with his horse while the kids and I took our sweet time before I got down to the regular weekend-pickup-laundry-beds-lunch chores. After eating lunch and delivering our daughter to a friend (where I gratefully made sure I was offered some coffee), I tried to decide if I should go to the sauna? Or should I just jump on the crosstrainer? Or should I go for a walk along the sound? Or should I just hang out with my husband? Or should I check out the new fitness center that's opening this winter? Or can I do a combination of said activities? Which ones? In what order? Or do I just screw it all?

This is the way I am, and luckily my P knows it all too well. So he does what needs to be done; he tells me, loud and clear, "Go now!" So I did.

I drove to the sound and decided to go for a walk along the water before going to the sauna. My immediate thought when I climbed out of the car and saw the white caps was, "What's the point of me living this close to the water if I don't take the time to come here?" What's the point of having eyes if I don't take the opportunity to enjoy the beauty around me? What's the point of having ears if I don't allow myself the pleasure of listening to the waves as they hit against the rocks?

I got to the sauna as dusk was falling. The southeastern wind had changed the water that usually caresses the shore softly to more powerful waves that rhytmically rubbed against the rocks as though the wind were giving the shore a deep tissue massage. The moon shone on the water, and evening sky's dark canvas was lit in the distance by flickering Christmas lights and stars alike.

What's the point of feeling anything if I can't let the invigorating sensation of ice-cold water encase me only to be followed by feeling a sea breeze's drying touch to naked skin, soon to warmed by the welcoming heat of a wood-furnace?

What's the point of having a family if I don't make it 100% clear to them what they mean to me? Now it's time to join my son who is dying to get our Christmas decorations up. Just seeing his eager expression is enough to make me smile.

Pictures from Google

1 comment: