Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving thanks


Today is Thanksgiving, and I'm not even sad to be sitting alone in the company apartment with a laptop and FB to keep me company. On the contrary, I feel pretty good. Just reading all the FB comments with everyone wishing everyone else a Happy Thanksgiving is enough to get me into some serious holiday spirit.

What I'm most thankful for on this particular day is the phone call I received from my friend B, the one who is being treated for liver cancer. I had spoken to him on Monday, the day before he was going to go for yet another chemo-session, something he's been doing for the past 2½ years. However, since the worst of his tumors had shown some signs of change his doctor planned on adjusting his treatment to something more aggressive. And aggressive is exactly what they got. B told me that if he hadn't been at the hospital, then I wouldn't have been talking to him today. He was literally poisoned and this close (minimal space between thumb and forefinger) to dying.

But he didn't. And today, two days after the whole ordeal, we could talk, and even cynically, morbidly joke about it. Because that's what we do. We laugh together. Afterwards, when we had hung up, that's when I felt shaken. Once again I realized the mistake I'd made of taking life for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment