Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The present


This morning I went to class; it was the first time I tried to do yoga since injuring my knee two weeks ago. It was also the first time I would be attending one of Oscar's classes. Oscar started doing yoga för me about 1½ years ago and before I knew it, he had decided to become a Virya yoga instructor as well.

And that's exactly what he did and succeeded with flying colors. I got chills just listening to him as he explained what we would be focusing on for class. His theme for today was inspired by a quote from my kids' favorite movie (this week): Kung Fu Panda. In it the old, wise Master Oogway teaches, "Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why we call it 'the present'."

For me, who had once again found myself starting over, I couldn't have been offered a greater gift. Rather than complain about my limitations and allow frustration to fog my mission, I repeated to myself with each move and each breath, "This is a present." And the words rang true to me, even though I had to adapt my positions to the easier modifications; even though I wouldn't have been able to flow through either level 2 or 3; even though I could only yoga for 1 hour. So when I was done, I was filled with joy and gratitude for that which I had been able to accomplish, for that which this wise yoga instructor had given me in form of encouragement and support.

Oscar was my hero for today. I will never grasp how this 18-year-old (yes, Oscar is young enough to be my son...) can do what he does, and do it so well, but I am so grateful I was able to take part in his magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment