Saturday, November 14, 2009

The obituary

At the risk of seeming insensitive I have to say that I've read the coolest obituary I've ever seen in today's newspaper. Can you believe it made me smile? The first thing that caught my eye was the image of a pair of lips, like when you blot your lipstick, in red. The same red color was used for the deceased's name (what a horrible term -strike that!), I mean for what obviously must have been a really lively lady with a lot of "pizazz". As I continued reading I realized that this woman had prior to her death chosen to write her own death announcement:

A kiss for you all from
XXXXX
And especially to:
XXXXX (family members)
XXXX
XXX, etc
Now I've gone and will not be returning
and it will only be worse, my dears, if you cry
Nothing can change the destinies we are given
so I ask that you remember me as I was
As you stand here now, perhaps missing me
I want for you, my dears, to awaken and embrace your lives
and live your remaining days to the fullest
Welcome to my final party!
Information about the funeral

For some reason our consumption-ridden culture teaches us to fear death. I am no different. Those who have succeeded in taking the lessons of yogic philosophy to heart do not fear death and claim to have thereby unlocked the secret to a life in bliss. My own shortcomings won't even allow me to grasp the idea of being able to think about death without discomfort.

But wouldn't it be great to have enough grace, integrity, and acceptance to leave such a heartfelt message to your loved ones before making the final passage, just as this fantastic woman did? To compose an obituary that made people smile?

Picture from Google

No comments:

Post a Comment