Sunday, November 8, 2009

Who's to know where the wind will take you?



Today's theme - kite flying. Physically: using uddiana bandha (your core muscles) along with mula bandha (your pelvic muscles) to anchor yourself in order to let your chest and heart open and fly (get it? like a kite!). And as far as the mind goes: like the song says, "Who's to know where the wind will take you?". I reminded my students to remember that when you fly a kite, sometimes you catch the wind and soar, and other times you're bound to have trouble getting off of the ground. It's all part of the package.

So I'm thinking to myself that I believe in this metaphor and thinking that naturally I accept that our journeys seldom move forward in a straight line without any obstacles. Then suddenly, right as I was about to stand up from the floor to dim the lights before the final relaxation, I accidentally twist my knee... It didn't really hurt, but all of the sudden I couldn't straighten my leg, and I couldn't apply any pressure on it.

Fast forward...yoga student drives me home...I take a shower (thank God we have a shower stool)...and now I'm in bed with a body pillow supporting the leg that I still can't straighten. I'm all for karma teaching the lessons that we need to learn, but damn(!), I thought I already got this one. And me who had finally just started getting my exercise regime back on a regular schedule and was really feeling motivated to getting into better shape!

Tomorrow morning I'll call the doctor. I'm guessing that I've injured my medial meniscus meaning I will probably need to have an arthroscopy done. I've been in bed for 1½ hours, and already I'm bored and my butt is killing me. Give me grace to deal with this!

Picture from Google

1 comment: