Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Simple abundance

Walking out of the store today, I passed two white-haired ladies chatting. One had a walker; the other wore a skirt with a matching blazer. From the sounds of it they hadn't seen each other for some time. Suddenly the one with the walker ask her friend, "Can't you stop by tomorrow afternoon for a cup of coffee?"

Despite all the effort I put into fulfilling my ambitions, visions, and dreams, along with all the energy spent to prepare for my future, I have difficulty envisioning what it is exactly I am striving for.

I think receiving that very question I happened to overhear would be reason enough to feel true satisfaction with one's life. After having just listened to Barack Obama's memoirs, I realize the importance of feeling that one belongs, that one's life offers a sense of community.

No comments:

Post a Comment