Monday, July 20, 2009

Non-desire and Happy Yoga

A month or so ago some yoga-practicing bloggers recently selected the book, Happy Yoga, by Steve Ross, to their book circle. I didn't think much of it until last week, when something (intuition?) told me to buy this book. I don't often buy things on a whim, especially books. I usually compare prices online, think long and hard about if I want this particular book or if I should wait until somehting better comes along, and/or see if the books I am interested in can be borrowed from library.

As though fate wanted to speed things along, two days after placing my order with Amazon my book arrived. Now I've gotten through the first section which explains that "you can't get happy - you can only be happy". Fantastic stuff, and there's almost no mention of asana or physical practice. It's all about the philosophy which Ross so rightly claims has been lost in the Western schools of yoga. Philosophy and fun. He explains how our wants may offer short bouts of pleasure, but that they ultimately lead to pain - and wanting more. Very eye-opening stuff that is easy to read and understand.

Reading this has increased my desire to explore my inner potential through meditation. Maybe I am on the right track?

Yet, seeing as how I will probably always be somewhat of a material girl from the capitalistic empire called the U.S. of A., then allow me sign off by adding that I love my meditation pillow. It really helps me maintain a "stable, comfortable posture (=asana)" as I, eyes closed, stumble my way ahead on my road less travelled. Besides, according to Ross, it's not that we have things that is the cause of our sorrow, it's just that we're never satisfied.

And I really love having this pillow. P.S. I bought it at Vatumannen in Stockholm.

No comments:

Post a Comment