Tuesday, July 14, 2009

LEGO-bricks and EGO-chains



My almost 6-year-old is a complete LEGO freak. I have to bow down to my husband who refused my demands to throw out his bags of ancient LEGO bricks, claiming that one day his children would have as much fun as he once did, building and creating and such. And right he was.

I personally hated LEGO when I was little. I don't dare to attempt anything without directions or instructions. That includes everything from recipes and yoga to travelling and fashion. My ego demands guidelines because my biggest fear is getting it wrong! I repeat: my greatest fear is failure.

My son on the other hand can freebase with his LEGO. His hands can't move fast enough putting different bricks together, not knowing until he is done what it is he's constructing. But tonight he tried something new. We had just bought him a LEGO jet kit, and he very calmly opened the illustrative instructions and proceeded to methodically build a jet, step by step, piece by piece, following the blueprints to a "t". He asked for my help, and soon it was the two of us on the living room rug, figuring out which pieces were lights, wings, and noses.

That is when I am in my comfort zone. I thrive on discipline, order, and a guarantee that the finished product is going to be PERFECT. And once you know what it is, and you've completed all the steps until the instruction book can be set aside, well, then you can be as creative as you want playing with your new, perfect toy.

But is that always the right alternative? Does everything have to be built on a steadfast foundation? Or at what point is thinking outside of the box the only way to go in order to continue on the path towards developing one's sense of artistery?

How do I break out of my chains of discipline without giving in to chaos?

No comments:

Post a Comment