Monday, April 20, 2009

No turning back


I wasn't going to blog about this topic since I didn't want to mistakenly upset any "twentysomething" readers. Please rest assured that my hesitation is a result of my maternal instinct and that the following is in no way meant to sound critical, seeing as how I, too, have been twentysomething.

It's interersting to see glimpses of what lie's inside a crystal ball, in this case provided by Facebook friends' links to blogs, which are linked to other blogs, etc. It's like going into the mirror room at the funhouse; the outlines of these blogs may not necessarily bear an exact resemblance, but often I see the contours of myself reflected in various texts.

Today I read one blog entry written by a girl in her early twenties who's confident, self-assured, nearly to the point of provocation (nothing wrong with that!!), and she was obviously her own #1 fan. Of course the criteria her selfpraise was based purely on her physical features (at least in this particular entry). Cudos to her for at least appreciating and having the guts to be satisfied with her physique, seeing as how that seemed to be her goal. I recall a time (about 20 years and 10(?) kg ago) when my exercise habits quickly turned into a compulsion; at one point, I went to aerobics classes even though I couldn't lift an injured arm/shoulder over my head. And yet despite all my discipline and efforts, I never felt that I was thin enough or lean enough or muscular enough, etc.

In another blog the author (who is a few years my senior) and a number of her readers (myself included) have engaged in discussing the acceptance of our (perceived) shortcomings. It's like at some point we all realize that "this is me, and it ain't gettin' any better than this". But if we could choose (which we can't) what would it be? The quest for the perfect body unbeknownst to us that it's all going to fade in what feels like a heartbeat? Or do we opt for removing the veil that shrouds our vision so that we can see ourselves - completely - on the inside and out?

Like I said, it's not like we have any say in the matter - well, perhaps some people manage to desperately cling onto the past in some feeble attempt to keep anything from changing. As for me the veil is off, and my nose is a ½-inch from the mirror. My reflection mercilessly reveals creases around my eyes, "grudge-lines" across my forehead (getting deeper by the hour), enough chinhairs to make a pre-pubertal boy green with envy, and skin that is slowly starting to sag.

The same reflection is also proof that I've been around the block enough times to genuinely know, in my heart, what matters the most. Still I wouldn't exactly mind it if I just one last time had to show some i.d. in order to buy a bottle of wine... Part of seeing the whole me includes realizing and embracing my vanity because everytime I get hungup on my appearance I am instantly reminded to look at how I am feeling on the inside. And when I realize that my frustration has more to do with how I am feeling on the inside, my experience helps me try to figure what I can do about it. Yin and yang, baby. That and great concealer.

1 comment:

  1. haha, seems like you've read my blog ;) as a representative 20-something, I'm not upset about the topic, rather honored that you've found my blog and took your time to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete