Monday, April 13, 2009

Confession

Easter Monday: a fantastic holiday - no school, no work, the sun is shining, the kids are playing with friends, my husband is away at the races with his horse, and for the moment I am home alone.

As I walked home from my son's friend's house, I noticed that in every single yard people were outdoors fully commenced in some type of garden work. It seems like everyone (except us) has taken on grueling outdoor projects, one more outstanding than the other. The sounds of birds chirping and children laughing were drowned out by a chorus of massive, outdoor equipment.

For those that really have green thumbs I envy your passion, because I simply don't have that gene (My husband even less so; I think if I'm a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10, then he's at least a -7.). And honestly, although it may very well be imagined, I can't help but think that there is this unannounced, underlying contest going on at the same time: Oh, honey, look at the Nilssons; they're using Holstein manure(!) - silly people!!

Seriously, I don't know how many times I've seen houses with intricately designed patios out front with rock sculptures, lighting, exotic plants, and the mandatory park bench, but I can tell you how many times I've actually seen someone sitting on one of those benches - ZERO.

But like I said, if this is what makes you happy, then knock yourself out and have a blast. Please, just don't mind if I leave a walkover and stick to keeping the lawn mowed while I spend the rest of my time doing something else, or perhaps nothing at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment