Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Snowman's going down!





I remember from my childhood what a trying month March is. In second grade we made paper cutouts of lions and lambs, depicting March's changing moods. In fifth grade I have a memory of standing in 6 inches of snow, waiting for the bus to come, and writing with my footprints, "Snow stinks in March!".

A lot of my friends are, too, expressing their longing for spring. So far I haven't been too affected by its absence. I know that March is my least favorite month, and maybe that is why I've been more optimistic by just seeing and hearing small signs of spring's approach - sunlight through the bedroom curtains, hearing birds sing when I awake, not necessarily needing a hat, scarf, and mittens every time I open the front door, etc.

Yesterday I started out by putting on my MBT walking shoes instead of boots. The sun peered out in between clouds, so I gladly put on my sunglasses to avoid squinting. But as the day wore on the lamblike weather was overpowered by a tiresome lion, bringing sleet and freezing rain. This morning I see that a thin blanket of snow drapes the outdoors.

And I, too, can join in the chorus of voices, "Enough already!"

No comments:

Post a Comment