Sunday, March 15, 2009

Recipe for comfort (after an "ugly cry")




That is, if there is no Reeses Peanutbutter Cup Sundae available.

Part I - yoga - lets the tense muscles filled with stress hormones wring themselves out. It tires you out. It helps your breathing reach your stomach area instead of being restricted to your collarbones. The secret is to not demand too much of yourself, instead let the movements warm you and loosen your insides.

Part II - sauna - Lying on my back staring at the ceiling I thought about how miserable I had been feeling. The feelings that earlier had a chokehold on me, that were making me feel completely suffocated, were dissipating in the heat. It was like they were floating upward, the same way that a lucid dream dissolves upon awakening. The pressure in my sinuses lifted as the puffiness in my swollen eyes softened. Again, it' vital that you treat yourself with kindness; I remained on the lower bench in the comfortable heat rather than expose myself to the trying heat above.

Part III - wipeout - go home, crawl into bed with your family, and watch WIPEOUT on TV. Hearing my five-year-old laugh hysterically for an hour straight makes it impossible to stay in a bad mood.

3 comments:

  1. Nu låter jag som en riktig förälder, men kommentatorerna till Wipeout skulle behövas censureras...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Håller med dig Lena - som tur är (än så länge) dränks svordomarna tack vare barnens skrattanfall...

    ReplyDelete