Sunday, March 29, 2009

Moment of truth?


I love having youngsters come to my yoga class (that is the 20-25 year olds). I could never have done yoga at that age; I just wasn't mature enough.

I am, however, most blown away by the "lady" yogis, some of them easily in their fifties. After having been away for a couple of weeks today's theme was "spring cleaning", and we focused extra on hip openers. The technique I saw was outstanding (I don't know what my sub Carina put in the incense holder, but all I could think was OMG; I'm not worthy ;-)!!). One lady in particular is one that I have followed for nearly two years. The past few months she has undergone a metamorphisis, and gone is the hunched over posture with shoulders by the ears as it has been replaced by a long, lean, and STRAIGHT back, even in postures with forward bends.

Afterwards she "confessed" to me that she had been ill and hadn't been able to work out for a couple of weeks, and that she felt that she had become more inflexible.

Maybe it was my jnana (knowledge) mudra (hand position) from earlier in class. I don't know. All I know is that somewhere from deep inside me I could immediately inform this student that she was not at all stiffer in her poses; it's just the fact that she is finding her true length that the poses reach down to the depths of her body, and this is the sensation she is feeling.

Just like an excavation that gives way for a revelation.

1 comment: