Sunday, January 17, 2010

The (surprise?) party

How connected I feel to my husband at any particular moment varies, and hopefully I am not the only half-of-a-couple that at times wonders, "How did we get here?" It's not my love is erratic. I guess if you compare the outlook (not the strength) of our bonds to the weather, then some days it's sunny with clear skies and 100% visibility, while on other days the fog comes in, and you can't even see the hand in front of your face. I won't even go into what happens when a hurricane hits; I figure you get the picture.

Anyhow, we were invited to a party to celebrate a good friend's successful disputation. Neither P nor I are the partying kind. We weren't even altogether shocked at the realization that the last occasion where we had to "dress up" was my mother-in-law's funeral six years ago. I know; that's pretty bad. But I always feel like a fish out of water any time high heels are required, and I have a hard time hearing what's being said if there's loud music, and I get so tired in the evenings, and I don't know so many people, and if I try to drink some wine then I will end up with a hangover before dessert is even served: I assume you're getting this picture, too? Let's just say I'm more a small gathering with a few good friends, good food, and lots of laughter kind of person - you know, lazy and comfortable...

Going through my closet wondering whatever posessed me to buy 90% of the articles of clothing that laid there gawking at me, I finally found a skirt (given to me by my shopping goddess of a friend) with a top that oddly enough matched perfectly. All I needed to buy was a pair of stockings. Nice. Hubby tried on his pants with jacket and a new button down shirt from Tiger that he had purchased while we were in Florida last month. Gulp - very nice.

My husband was granted the honor to serve as toastmaster for this dinner; it would be the first time he ever did something like this. But as he started to welcome the guests, all of the sudden I was transported 18 ½ years back in time to the first time I heard him speak. Despite his height (6' 4") he stood with his back fully erect, yet his words were so natural and full of warmth and humor that it just hypnotized everyone, especially me. We weren't seated by each other at dinner, but as soon as the music started he pulled me onto the dancefloor, and we danced the only way we know how - slowly. In short, it was an awesome party.

Picture from Google

No comments:

Post a Comment