Thursday, January 7, 2010

I solemnly swear (maybe)...

Am I the only one who feels that the pressure's on to figure out some kind of New Year's resolution? That it's mandatory, because if you DON'T have a New Year's resolution by now, then obviously you aren't willing to further develop and/or improve yourself. Oh, the hubris!

Yet isn't it even worse to have announced to the world that you've decided your New Year's resolution (like giving up your overpriced-calorie-bombs-courtesy-of-Starbucks (right, Patty?!)), only to discover on January 2nd that you really need your drug-of-choice so you tell yourself that one last treat is OK (sort of like me only eating half a chocolate chip cookie), and by January 4th you're like, "What resolution?" before quickly changing the subject.

Isn't life hard enough with so many promises rendered worthless due to the attachment of invisible strings in the form of conditions that can only be found in the fine print? How many people do I trust unreservedly? Can I be trusted? What's the promise of my dreams like? Can I trust that any of them will come true? Am I living up to my own promise, living my life to the fullest? ...offering as much as I can to those dearest to me ? Dare I resolve to do so? At this point I had to go back to this last paragraph and change the subject to all the previous questions from "you" to "I". God, it's hard to turn the mirror towards oneself, sorry, I mean MYSELF.

So basically I'm right back where I started - do I make a resolution or not?

If I do make a resolution, then I want nothing short of me having to be hooked up to life support to stop me from achieving my goals. With that said, all I need to know is what my goals are. Just one problem: I have no freaking idea what my goals are.

Great, I've just turned 40, and it's dawned on me that I have no idea what my goals are... My thirties consisted of me starting a family, taking charge of my career, and developing my interests. I am, to say the least, pleased with the results - Hell, I'm thrilled with the abundance my life has brought me! But my thirties are over, and I'm thinking perhaps my new era needs a new sense of direction.

So my New Year's resolution for 2010 is: figure out whatever it is I should resolve to do with my life from this point forward!

Picture from Google

2 comments:

  1. Hej! Hittade hit via din fina kommentar hos mig, men blev lite osäker på om jag skulle kommentera på svenska eller engelska...Jag väljer mitt modersmål och hoppas det är ok :)
    Jag som är över 50 tror att jag förstår var du står och jag tror det är viktigt att inte ha för bråttom, man är där man är. Att skaffa sig mål och saker att kämpa för/till är nog så viktigt men ibland måste man stanna upp för att se vad man verkligen vill. När jag var 40 så började jag med att utesluta vad jag INTE ville, just för att det var så svårt att hitta vad jag ville. Lycka till!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Annika: tack för dina fina ord - jag tar dem till mig! (Och visst går det utmärkt att svara på svenska!!) :-)

    ReplyDelete