Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mirror lake


In Sweden "All Saints' Day" falls on this Saturday and is celebrated much in the sense that Catholics celebrate "All Souls' Day". It is a time for rememberance.

For tomorrow's yoga class, I was hoping to come up with a theme that would be suitable for this poignant holiday. I wish there were some way that I could incoporate the subject of death in a yoga class, but I know that there are people who have experienced terrible tragedies, and out of respect for them I don't want to belittle the gravity of what they've been through. Still Death is the only "guarantee" we have in life. Without Death, there can't be Life. Just as there cannot be Happiness without Pain, at least at some point. You cannot Succeed if you've never Failed. You can't experience Love if you've never been Hurt.

So even if I wish it was socially acceptable to talk openly about death, and even though I have lost people that I have cared for deeply, I have neither lost a child nor a partner. It's easy to be rational when there is some distance. I doubt I could be as rational about Death's inevitability and our inability to control our fates should anything happen to anyone in my immediately family.

Still trying to figure out what to base tomorrow's theme on, I came up with something while I was in the locker room after today's Body Balance class. Remembering those who have touched our lives requires quieting our minds. Creating stillness is sometimes a bigger challenge than pushing ourselves to the brink. If we want to see our reflection in the water we can't be making waves.

Making the waves subside may take some effort, but when we manage to find that peaceful room then maybe the reflection of whatever we need to see in ourselves will finally get the chance to show itself on its own.

Picture from Google

No comments:

Post a Comment