Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Flu gratitude


Last night I turned the lights off at about 10:45 P.M. A little after 1 A.M. I'm dreaming about the wheelchairs I have to try out in the morning and am telling myself that I have to keep sleeping seeing as how I'll be driving for seven hours as well. Suddenly I start to wake up, and it dawns om me that there's a reason for me not being able to sleep soundly. The bulge in my stomach and bad taste in my mouth told me that getting sick would be inevitable.

The rest of the night was your basic stomach flu nightmare. By dawn and after my fourth Immodium I was down for the count, but at least the worst was over. All that was left was to cancel my appointments, today and tomorrow (After all, who wants to meet someone with a stomach bug?), and situate myself in my bed, too tired to do anything.

What could I possibly be grateful for? A few small, but incredibly important things.

We live in a small village in Sweden. Small enough that my 10-year-old daughter can walk her 6-year-old little brother home after school. As I saw them approaching through the window on this gorgeous, sunny fall day, I was on the phone with a neighbor who wanted to know if she could do anything to help? Not having to be out on the road tomorrow means I will even have time to finish my presentation, that's way behind schedule, without having to stay up halfway through the night.

Does fate really work in this mysterious a way? I think so.

Picture depicts Nurse Meow, on one of his longer breaks...


1 comment:

  1. I'm convinced that things break down when we need a break. It may seem a most inopportune time, but have you ever noticed how your computer crashes in the middle of the night while you're working on something important? That's when you need to go to sleep and look at it in the morning.

    ReplyDelete