Saturday, March 26, 2011

Freedom and farting noises


As part of my Saturday decompression I am presently sitting on my couch, checking my FB and e-mails. In the background my son and his friend are sprawled out on the floor on the other side of the living room. They're in the midst of creating a fantasy world on paper, filled with unique vehicles, armies, weapons, along with an added touch of sound effects in the form of constant farting noises.

Their tongues and pencils move individually in constant motion without hesitation. Yet the two of them seem to be in complete harmony, perfectly synchronized, and totally oblivious to the three dimensional world beyond their IKEA paper-roll.

They've been at it non-stop for 50 minutes. They've just added a restroom to their building (even warriors need to use the bathroom), and now they're talking about sending their picture to The Guiness Book of Records.

I'm still trying to wake up, despite the fact that I've been up for two hours. My mind is still clouded, I'm in my pajamas, and my caffeine fix hasn't really had any measurable effect. I watch in dazed fascination as they unroll another meter's length of paper seeing as their hands can barely keep up with their imagination.

I have yet to hear them utter the words "no", "can't", or "shouldn't".

All I'm hearing, over and over again, is "Yes!", followed by a fart.

No comments:

Post a Comment