Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Topic II - My First Love


I hope my daughter gets to experience her "first love" the same way I did. Oddly enough, I look more fondly back upon my first love, than I do the four-year relationship I had with the guy I was living with up until I met P.

I was 16. He was 17. There must be something about capricorns with a wry sense of humor, because that's what attracted me to this guy, and it just so happens that my husband shares those exact same qualities. Also, he was the strong, silent type, just like my husband.

We were friends first. So when it was time to take things to "the next level", I was emotionally ready because at that point, we were truly in love. I have absolutely no regrets.

The following year, I started college, and eventually I wanted to see other people. I was all about convention, and wanted to follow the plan mapped out for me, but my boyfriend didn't see his future that way. He followed his own path which I had a hard time accepting. That, and I was on my own for the first time in my life and curious as to what was out there.

And so what do I end up doing? You guessed it; I moved to Europe. So much for convention.

No comments:

Post a Comment