Monday, April 12, 2010

With all due respect,


I don't mean to step on your toes. Unless, of course, you feel that I am addressing YOU.

It happened again at yesterday's yoga class, which, by the way, was a great class. There's something about certain students who have practiced other types of yoga. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe all yoga is good yoga, but I do have a problem with students coming to my Virya class without any intention of practing Virya yoga.

What I, in turn, see, are students who lack all form of reflection in their poses and who disregard the purpose I am trying to convey. They tune out completely, self-absorbed in their own little (Do your practice and all is coming?) bubbles, and don't even show the least bit of interest in learning the biomechanics of the positions and transitions which are vital to a healthy practice.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if you want to freestyle and/or do it all your way, don't come to my class and disturb the other students. Or rather, don't selfishly steal the focus from the rest of the class who have an amicable agreement to practice individually-together in a peaceful decorum.

Now that I've agitated a number of yogis who would beg to differ, I may as well continue while standing on my soapbox because yesterday evening I broke what is for some a huge taboo: I yoga'd to music. No, correction: music and lyrics! I've always had a secret urge to do it, and, yes, there are a lot of renowned yoga teachers out there who use music in their practice. You all know that I love being ironic, right?

Anyhow, I am a self-admitted Body Balance nerd. So yesterday I played the soundtrack to Body Balance release #30 during my own mat practice and loved every minute of it. I am, at times, somewhat of a technique freak, and the beautiful tones, beats, and rhythms I heard unleashed within me a true sensation of flow. Just as the music felt as though it ran like currents through my veins, I could sense my prana coarsing through my nadis.

Even if I don't do it every time, I'm definitely going to do it again.

2 comments:

  1. Åh vad härlig inspiration! Yoga till body balance music, måste provas. Och jag gillar dina tankar om elever som kör sitt eget race på klassen, såg detta när jag var observatör på en klass... Hur långt får det gå innan man säger till? För stör gör det ju...
    Vill du bli min viryamentor, btw? (Känns iofs som om vi redan påbörjat denna process)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, vanligtvis Ashtanga-människor som gör så, jupp nu sa/skrev jag det. Tråkigt och ledsamt. Kramis

    ReplyDelete