Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I so need to develop my sense of non-attachment




One of the hardest priniciples for me to comprehend during my yoga instructor training was the concept of non-attachment. But the more aware I become of my feelings of stress, not only when associated to consumption, but rather in my ongoing struggle to have total control over finances and the hypothetical "rainy day" scenario, the more I realize that I need to find some inner peace so that I can chill and stop losing sleep. I have everything I need as it is, but I suppose my fear of losing all that is what is freaking me out...

I subscribe to Yoga Journal's newsletter. This week's theme came at just the right time. Here's an excerpt about non-attachment since change ultimately is inevitable. Accept these principles, and one is to be able to find freedom within:

The Five Remembrances I like this version of the Buddha's Five Remembrances, offered by Thich Nhat Hanh in The Plum Village Chanting Book (Parallax Press, 1991).


  • I am of the nature to grow old. There is no way to escape growing old.


  • I am of the nature to have ill health. There is no way to escape ill health.


  • I am of the nature to die. There is no way to escape death.


  • All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them.


  • My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand.

Frank Jude Boccio (http://www.judekaruna.net/) is the author of Mindfulness Yoga. He teaches yoga in New Paltz, New York, and leads Mindfulness Yoga sessions throughout North America

Like my yoga teacher says (with a fake Indian accent): "Yes, we trryyy."

Namasté

3 comments:

  1. Bra visdomsord att komma ihåg! Tack för ditt besök, det är alltid lika trevligt med din närvaro. Kram.

    ReplyDelete