Friday, February 20, 2009

Boredom, not need, is the mother of invention

My kids have winter vacation this week. Today my 9-year-old daughter got to go to the movies while my 5-year-old son spent the afternoon watching "Toy Story" on the VCR.

Now we are in the middle of a "medial vacuum" since both the TV and computer are off limits until "Let's Dance" begins in an hour.

My son is the master of finding old, forgotten toys to keep himself occupied. After a while my daughter, who has taken refuge in her room to draw and color, notices he's having fun and asks if she can try (It's some cheapo plastic toy you can shoot a small plastic ball from).

Happy to have found a companion, my 5-year-old lets her join in. Because of their age difference it's not always easy for them to play together, but right now I am thoroughly enjoying listening to their laughter...

...even if it's because they're shooting their plastic projectiles over kitty's head. Since Mr. Meow, though, hasn't moved from his spot on the easy chair, the commotion doesn't seem to be causing him any dismay.

At best it will last a minute or two more, but it was nice while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment