Saturday, February 28, 2009

Facebook fears


I have been thoroughly enjoying being on Facebook since my friend Gail invited me to join during the holidays. It's fun; it makes me laugh; and every now and then I even get inspired. It's up to me how much I want to observe. It's up to me how much I want to participate.


I was more of an observer back in high school. My part in the social circles was not so much me on the outside looking in; it was more like being in the periphery, without ever really making it inside the inner circle. Much of that depended on how I was/am as a person. In poker I like to play my hands tightly. At the gym I enjoy the classes where I feel I am able to perform well. At a restaurant I prefer ordering the same dish since I know I'll like it.


I am afraid of making the wrong choice. I am afraid of being the "intruder" who gets rejected. Most of all I am afraid of what people might think... When it comes to Facebook I realize that I should put previous assumptions about "belonging" aside, regardless of what the social order looked like 20+ years ago. This is ironically enough my theme for my yoga class tomorrow: empowering yourself enough so that you dare to expose your vunerable side.
Maybe Ganesh can help me remove my own inner obstacles?

No comments:

Post a Comment