Saturday, September 11, 2010

Accessibility


It's there, and it's not as hard to reach as you might think. It's not buried within secret rituals shrouded by ancient tongues. You don't have to have a master or even master it. Granted, reading some literature and practicing a number of times will most certainly guide you; still, it's something you actually, for real, can do in the comfort of your own home.

There's no one keeping tabs on how much or how little you do. No scales. No final exam.

I am finally getting more and more into meditation. My practice is still somewhat sporadic, but I sense that I am finally opening up to something - something larger than myself.

There was an excellent article by Sally Kempton in this month's issue of "Yoga Journal" with a brief introduction to various "core" meditation practices. Among these she mentioned the "self-inquiry" method, and my lightbulb lit up. That's the one where I ask my silence for advice! Kempton encourages us to find the type of meditation that suits us to use as a "core" practice, and then spice it up now and then by experimenting with the other techniques.

Yesterday, I set my clock half-an-hour earilier. It was raining, but still mild enough that I could sit out on the porch. I listened to the rain splatter against the windows and felt the hint-of-autumn's-arrival-breeze caress my skin. Since I didn't have any particular issue to ponder, I simply asked my silence, "What do I need to know?"

For the most part, I just experienced stillness. A couple of minutes before my timer was about to go off, a gentle gust of wind gently blew a couple tresses across my cheek. I thought I heard in that instant, "Enjoy life."

Wishful thinking?

Who knows?!

Does it really matter?

I decided that in whichever case, I was going to make an effort to utilize that small piece of wisdom.


Picture from Google

No comments:

Post a Comment