Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Jukebox rescue


I haven't done much meditating this summer. Instead I've used my mornings for taking walks. And while walking can many times be likened with meditating in that it cleanses my thoughts, I just can't dig as deeply if there is something I need to contemplate on.

I'm in the midst of reading Jack Kornfield's "Meditation for Beginners" and was reminded yet again that we behold the potential to happiness within ourselves - that it's there for our taking 24/7. It dawned on me that I have been extremely focused on searching for contentment outside of myself, especially now that the weather's been so warm and so wonderful. When I'm not just sucking up every last morsel of summer weather, I am trying to figure out how to plan our next vacation so that I can get even more!

So when I finally decided to sit down and meditate today, I challenged myself. I asked my silence, "Is it possible for me to be completely content with what I have NOW (regardless of how NOW might look at any given time)?"All the while various thoughts came and went, dreams about Florida and Canary Islands popped up, begging for my attention, but, NO, I wanted an answer! How could I start pulling out the Florida sun from within? Why the resistance in letting go of, once again, all this desire???

My silence has a sense of humor, I'll give you that... When my timer ringed, it was as though someone dropped a quarter into my mental jukebox, because out of nowhere, of all the songs I have listened to throughout the years, a U2 track started in my head:

No comments:

Post a Comment