Saturday, July 10, 2010

Better late than never!


As a 40-year birthday present, my husband signed me up for a weeklong summer course on Öland, appropriately named "Everyone Can Paint and Draw". The best present I've ever received. Despite this having always been one of my secret dreams, since I lacked the guts to back it up (because let's face it, I could very well SUCK at it), I would never have gotten around to signing myself up.

The question remained, however, bearing in mind the course's title: "Was I to become the exception to the rule?!"

The answer, surprisingly enough, turned out being: "Who gives a crap?"

OK, I would be lying if I didn't admit to wanting to be able to create something that didn't completely suck.

But the whole process for me was like heaven for a week. It started out by us having perfect, summer weather. Every morning I got up, went for a walk, ate breakfast, drank coffee (outside), before I got into the car and steered towards Ölandsbron, the 6 km long bridge connecting the island to the mainland. From the second my feet hit the floor, the day was all mine. At the school we sat in a huge studio with enormous plate glass windows from floor to ceiling. Through the windows we could see leafy trees, fire red poppies, and the sea a couple of miles from us.

Our teacher gave us enough tools for us to get started. And that jumpstart is what I needed make the transtition between dream and deed.

When it was time to eat, we were served lunch and dinner. Otherwise my focus was completely dedicated to the act of creating. I have never enjoyed every second of every day more than I have this week.

To have a week completely to one's self. Why in God's name hadn't I thought of this sooner?!









No comments:

Post a Comment