Friday, September 11, 2009

The hag in seat 80


I’m sitting on the train, after having flown to Copenhagen from Amsterdam earlier in the day. It’s Friday, so there are a number of travellers with luggage, but the train is hardly full. Across the aisle, the last person to board is a woman who takes her place in seat 80. She has a huge suitcase.

I have a huge suitcase, too. When I got on the train I first had to lift a duffel bag (weighing maybe 2 lbs.) so that my suitcase would be out of the way. The woman in seat 80 places her suitcase in the middle of the aisle besides her seat.

The conductor comes along shortly after. After inquiring as to seat 80’s destination, which is the train’s final destination, she informs seat 80 that she cannot block the aisle with her suitcase. Seat 80, whom I now will refer to as the “hag”, whines that there was no room for her suitcase. The conductor says, “I will help you,” and starts to move some suitcases. The hag doesn’t lift her ass. She doesn’t even lift her nose out of her cheap novel. The conductor moves the suitcase to a more suitable location.

What I wish the small minded hag would consider is WHY the conductor wanted to keep the aisle clear? Well, guess what, Hag? It’s so idiots like you, along with the rest of us, can get out of the train quickly should an emergency arise. What? You don’t think that that will be necessary? I’ll bet the people in WTC didn’t think they would be running for their lives to get out of those buildings either on this day eight years ago.

And another thing, Hag… I just happen to know that conductor. She’s a wonderful woman. She happens to be from New York City, and she probably lost people, as so many others did, that fateful morning, almost to the minute as a matter of fact, in 2001. So open your eyes, and try to see the bigger picture – it just so happens it’s infinitely bigger than your ignorant ego.


No comments:

Post a Comment