Thursday, June 24, 2010

Reminder

This week I attended a conference for work that was held at "Vildmarkshotellet" (The Wildlife Hotel) which neighbors Sweden's largest zoo. Glorious weather, astonishing landscape, fantastic food, indoor pool & spa, families with KIDS everywhere! And even though I tend to get nervous with mobs of children running around rampant like mini-maniacs, I got that; this place was kid heaven.

And then I passed the mini-movie theater while headed to the restaurant, and I spotted the wheelchair. Being in the wheelchair business, I have this "work-related-condition" that compels me to as discreetly as possible investigate any wheelchair I come across. Damn, I thought, a competitor's. Then I saw the thin, youthful looking legs. My eyes continued upward until I noticed that it was a younger woman quietly seated in the chair. But she didn't look like she was paralyzed; nor did she resemble someone with MS or some other condition that's common among wheelchair users.

That's when I noticed the scarf around her head, and my aching heart reached out to her.

It completely filled me with sadness to realize that this was probably a woman stricken with cancer who had most likely lost her hair due to chemotherapy. Later on, I couldn't stop thinking about her; I couldn't stop feeling sorry for her. Yet, somehow I doubt that pity does anyone any good. So I asked my silence, "What am I supposed to feel? I mean, I can't help this woman. I can't do anything for her young family. Is there any way to feel anything other than despair?"

That's when my silence reminded me, "You can be thankful for all that you have, just as I'm sure this family is making the most of the time that is given to them." So it's not like I'm saying, "Thank God it's her and not me!" But I am grateful for the reminder and for the much needed perspective (yet again).

And as I saw her young daughter crawl up into her lap the following morning with her slightly older son by her side, I silently hoped that their stay had been perfect, and I prayed that all would turn out well for them soon.

Happy Midsummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment