Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Stuck in the 80's

Picture from Google
My husband sometimes jokes about it being high time to exchange my forty-plus-self for a couple of younger, hotter 20-something-dolls. Lucky for me he's a high school teacher, so by the end of every school year, he's had it with hormone-ridden teenagers.

There is, however, another kind of glue that helps us stick together. That is, despite the fact we grew up in different cultures on opposite sides of the Atlantic, we both come from the same generation; so we still, in fact, share a lot of common ground. And although we've both changed immensely since our teen-years, our adolescence was still the time when we were most impressionable as we sought out to find and define ourselves as individuals. And our music served as a beacon (perhaps misguided at times) while we fumbled around in the dark. The power of that music, that separated me and my peers from my parents' generation, was the first, sure step towards our emancipation. I think that's why I still crank up the volume everytime an 80's song pops up on the radio; it takes me back to a time when anything was possible, and we were the ones who were going to conquer the world.

But who wants to be a lone conquerer? At the same time, we longed to belong and still do, to this day. For me and P, listening to 80's music or watching a brat-pack film together is one way for us to connect while keeping us young at heart.

1 comment: