Saturday, December 3, 2011

Thoughts from the soapbox!


"Self-knowledge! It seems as though it should be so easy to know yourself, but it's very, very challenging." - taken from yesterday's The Happiness Project blog entry.

And now for some venting (you have been warned): I get so frustrated by people who stubbornly and continuously subject themselves to selfharm. When you know better, you should do better, period.

I am the first to admit at Ego and Vanity are two of the more boisterous voices in my head that tend to make themselves heard. Luckily, Pain is louder. Pain is not weakness leaving my body. Pain is my inner Rottweiler who's got my back (literally), but when provoked will kick my butt (literally). So I'm thankful for the protection so that things don't go too far, yet I do my best to avoid using it as a tool to measure my progress.

When reading about ahimsa (non-violence) before using it as a theme to yesterday's yoga class, I came across the following from a Yoga Journal article: "...to be violent to the body means we are no longer listening to it. Violence and awareness cannot coexist. When we are forcing, we are not feeling. Conversely, when we are feeling, we cannot be forcing." Honestly, I don't think people have a problem with that concept because it really makes sense. The problem is when people cling to bad habits as though they're some kind of security blanket.

Well, guess what? If you're constantly sick and/or injured, then your security blanket is a veil. If you do yoga, do it for the sake of self-discovery so that you can find new avenues to living your life to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment