Sunday, October 2, 2011

Nothing on my bucket list

I spent the weekend admidst the pictoresque landscape that is Northern Sweden's eastern coast, whose white steeples set against a background of foliage-painted hills is the closest I'll come to the magnificence of my childhood New England autumns. Inside the stone walls of a medieval church replica, I enjoyed the extreme pleasure of bearing witness to the exhcange of marital vows between two of my closest friends.

P and I had also chosen to marry in the fall, and even though he couldn't join me on this joyous excursion, the spirit of this weekend has rekindled within me a profound sense of closeness and gratitude towards my husband. Despite the hundreds of miles between us, I am living proof that longning does make the heart grow fonder.

On Friday I had spoken to my sister, and she mentioned in passing that she had discussed her "Bucket List" with a new acquaintance. It got me to thinking about what my "Bucket List" should include? In short, I came up with nothing.

This, I believe, is partly due to the fact that my life has included more than I ever dreamt was possible. And even though I'll continue to welcome new opportunities to travel to say the very least, the only thing I am certain of as far as my destination goes is that I want to share it with P. In other words, I'd rather sit on a park bench with him in town than lie alone on an exotic beach in the tropics. I'd rather be happy everyday (well, at least several days a week), than feel ecstatic for just a few days of my life.

I have absolutely nothing against bucket lists. I think it's great if someone has a vision and strives to fulfill their dreams, no matter what they may be. For me, being able to continue living the life that I have, even though future changes are going to be inevitable, is all I need for the moment.

1 comment: