Monday, July 25, 2011

Holding hands



I remember in the eftermath of 9-11 the hole in my gut in combination with a constantly aching heart. No, I didn't lose anyone I knew, but as an American the collective sorrrow was simply colossal.

I remember in the days following the attacks, as I sat glued by my neighbor's satellite TV, my longing for the good news to finally emerge from the ruins. That they found survivors. Or even better, that what had happened hadn't actually happened.

I waited in vain. It happened then, and it's happened now, in Norway, in quite possibly an even more bestial and horrific manner.

In the 24 hours prior to this latest catastrophe one could hear on the news pleas for help to starving refugees in East Africa. With a few clicks on my computer, I could at least donate some money in the hopes that it might make somewhat of a difference for someone.

But Norway doesn't need our money. The dead have been transported from the island. The perpetrator is in custody. All that's left is the open wound that can't be closed. The chaotic confusion. The twinge of shame everytime one laughs only to recall in the next second the devastation of these events.

I didn't see Prime Minister's Jens Stoltenberg's speech, but I read it online, and I found this quote so moving that I wanted to pass it on:

Om én mann kan vise så mye hat, tenk hvor mye kaerlighed vi alle kan vise sammen.

If one man can show so much hate, imagine how much love we can show together.

If you want to show your support in form of a peaceful, loving manifestation, here's a link where you can join hands with the rest of the world:


Om shanti om.

No comments:

Post a Comment