Sunday, June 5, 2011

It's one thing to talk the talk...


...but we all (should) know that talk is cheap

...and what matters is how we walk the walk!

I have to admit, it's very convenient to label myself a "seeker" so that I don't have to overly exert myself to actually change something. I get all the creative urges that can be associated with the seeker - I long to go on retreats, read selfhelp books on philosophy and meditation, and search online for artistic summer courses. I fantasize about changing my exercise routines and eating habits at the same time I strongly consider the ontake of a simpler lifestyle that's more sustainable with less consumption.

Then the urge turns more into an itch, and that's when I feel like something, anything, has to happen. It could be that I start longing for new clothes, workout equipment, along with a sundae from the Ben & Jerry's café. I buy some wine (still unopened) in order to set the mood for the romantic evening I dream of my P and I having once the kids have gone to sleep.

I make plans. I make promises. And instead of actually doing these things, I keep on searching, usually by Internet, for more. It's like I'm the "non-adrenaline" seeker; the effort it takes to get going somehow manages to outweigh that insatiable longing for more.

And so yet again, late last night, I was online admiring a print that had caught my eye a few months earlier. When I googled the quote depicted in this print, I discovered that there were a number of others that had made their own version of this print. Then it dawned on me; the orginal artist was perhaps not the one who had come up with this particular saying... And if there were others making their own prints...

Turning around, I reached up to the top shelf of the bookshelf behind me and pulled down my small painting box that I had bougt for a summer course my husband had treated me to last summer. I grabbed my sketch pad and googled fonts. Then I spent the next two hours (although it felt more like 20 minutes), making sketches and drawing.

After all this time, I hadn't realized that I had it in me to create something on my own. Either that, or I just didn't dare try.

Picture from Google

No comments:

Post a Comment